Monday, June 20, 2011

The Kitchen is Complete!

You read right, folks.  Done.  Finito.  Complete.  (Except for stainless steel stove and microwave, but we can ignore that for now).  Granite is in.  Tile is in.  Walls and cabinets have been meticulously cleaned of all traces of silica dust (or as much of it as I could get off, because it's like a Stage Five Clinger).

So, I guess you guys might want to see pics, right?  Maybe?

Drumroll please....

Before
After



Before
After, with Moen sink



Before
After

Close-up of the backsplash

I love this latter one, because you can really see all the color in the granite.  Gorgeous!  I'm in love.  I'm in love with my kitchen.  I kind of want to marry it.

I gotta say, the little bronze squares in the backsplash were Husband's choice, and I wasn't all that excited about them when we were choosing.  It was by sheer lack of selection (I couldn't find anything even remotely better) that we went with it.  I thought it'd look good, but I have to defer to his artistic wisdom here, because it looks amazing.  Considerably better than I would have ever anticipated.

In fact, that's how I felt about the whole thing.  I knew that our selections were going to be great in-house.  I knew that the combination of our detailed eye and my bringing the paint swatch for the kitchen were going to make our selections fit in the home.  But there's a considerable difference between putting some samples together in perfect lighting and saying, "Yes that looks good" and seeing it in your kitchen with your cabinets and appliances.  It's just...wow. 

Oh!  Speaking of appliances...did anyone notice a new resident in our kitchen?  Oh yes!


Why hello there, pretty lady!  This is our new GE Clean Steel dishwasher. 


Y'all, this sucker is badazz.  In addition to the Clean Steel finish (meaning, you won't see fingerprints every five seconds on it, like most stainless steel), it's got a whole bunch of little cute gadgety things (like wine-glass separators), three wash arms (top and bottom, so your top-level dishes get clean too), it's high-efficiency so you just use those little Cascade cubes, fun electronic controls, and....


Super. Deep.  I have gigantor hands (for a girl), and this thing goes way past my wrist.  I'm used to dishwashers where you have to put your big glasses (Husband's "Chocolate Milk Glasses" that are all over 44oz) on the bottom shelf.  Our biggest CMG (see above) which is 64oz fits snugly in the top shelf.  Husband is excited.  Plus the bottom shelf is deep as well and isn't barred by that big hole in the middle that old dishwashers have (so they can shoot the water up to the top shelf), so it's even more room.  I anticipate much cooking in the future.  And I'm gleeful.

Unfortunately it can't be used yet, because the renovation guys still haven't brought out the right sink (we were promised Friday).  Once that's in, we can hook up the sink and dishwasher and I can finally wash off all the silica dust from my dishes so I can actually cook.  So exciting! 

This being the first true, honest-to-God after post is kind of jarring to me.  This weekend has been largely one of reflection.  I can't believe it's only been 6 weeks (almost 7) since we bought this house.  All the work we've done on it to this point has been a trial and tribulation, but also rewarding to a degree I could have never imagined.  This kitchen post is the first culmination of a dream we've had for well over three months, to make it as beautiful as it currently is. 

For one of the first times in my life, I've pictured something in my head, and been able to make it come to life not only as good as I'd hoped for, but better. 

And just wait until you see the bathroom.  :)

 

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Your dishwasher is awesome! It's a lot like ours. BAD ASS. It's super silent, too. Like... can't-hear-it-while-it's-on silent. Wine glass separators? How do those work? Oh, one thing to warn you about the dishwasher: I don't know if you can raise and lower the top shelf, but sometimes having the the top shelf so low means that the top water spraying fan thingy will hit and chip and break your plates sitting innocently on the bottom shelf. Just be on the lookout.

The kitchen looks AMAZING. I love the little bronze accent tiles. We've all known that poopface has good taste. This is yet more proof. I love the colors and green. GREEEENNNNNN! YAAY!

I'm excited to see what you'll pick out for an oven.

Did you replace the light fixture in the dining room?

Amanda said...

I'm so in love!

Lori said...

It's soooo coooool that I will see it in person tomorrow evening!!! LOVE it!!!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! LOVELOVELOVE it!

Post a Comment

I always read (and appreciate) comments! I'm writing this blog for you, so feel free to chime in any time. :)