Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Minor Update to Garden

Hi all!  It's been a while, but I have some new stuff to show you (finally).  Merry Christmas, here's your present!  :)

So if you remember from my previous garden post, I had to dead-head the snapdragons.  They were also extremely unruly and just flopping about (see picture below):


I was worried that I had waited too long to deadhead, and that I would be resigned to forever green bushes (which would be fine, as long as they didn't die).  Still, the area just looked unruly, like the snapdragons owned me.  I was not having it.

I tried a few avenues, and purchased a few "plant wranglers" online.  But they did not work, and Husband came through in the clench...with green chicken wire.

At first, I was reluctant.  But the result actually turned out gorgeous:


So I chicken-wired them on December 7th, fertilized them, and kept a close eye on their progress.  I didn't overwater, but I didn't underwater either.  I got lucky with a few hefty rains that kept them nice and moist.

Slowly, I started seeing some pink buds come back.  It started at the front, where the sun hits the bushes the most.  But now?  They're all blooming!

Forgive the leaves - it was windy the night before!

The ones at the front are still the most bloomy - this one below kicked out a set that rivaled how many blooms it had when I purchased it.

 
I think we have a winner, folks!

More garden updates to follow, hopefully over New Years weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I always read (and appreciate) comments! I'm writing this blog for you, so feel free to chime in any time. :)